Medicine cats are Clan cats who treat diseases and injuries, and who receive directions and guidance from SpiritClan. They have their own den in the Clan camp, where they sleep, store herbs, and treat wounded or sick cats. Medicine cats are not allowed to take mates or bear kits, and usually stand outside Clan rivalries. Though most medicine cats believe in SpiritClan, a few rare exceptions have become medicine cats even though they don't believe in SpiritClan.
A medicine cat's tasks are:
- Know all the herbs and store a supply of them in their den
- Treat wounded and sick cats
- Assist queens giving birth to kits
- Check up regularly on the health of Clan cats, especially queens, elders and kits
- Visit the Clans' sacred place (such as the Spirit Lights on Free Mountain) at every half moon to seek guidance from SpiritClan
- Interpret prophecies and omens and share them with the Clan Leader
- Upon the death of the Clan Leader, accompany the Deputy to Free Mountain, to be appointed as the new leader
- Train an apprentice as the Clan's next medicine cat
- Bear the knowledge of battle training in case of emergencies
Kits who wish to become medicine cats are apprenticed at the age of six moons to the Clan's current medicine cat. However, some have been known to exchange their warrior training to be a medicine cat or life-altering experiences may take them on that path. They earn their name at Free Mountain after successfully completing their training. Although, technically they are not the Clan's full medicine cat until the previous one dies or retires. It's a bit like having two medicine cats.They are introduced to StarClan as a medicine cat apprentice at the first half moon after they gain apprenticeship.